What To Eat On A Weight Loss Diet: Fresh Fruit Clafouti: Lightly Sweetened Hot Dessert Popover
Clafouti is a French dessert with a hint of Matcha Tea, very similar to a dessert popover in both ingredients and appearance after it is baked. It can be served hot, fresh from the oven, or the clafouti can be left to cool. It will be deflated in appearance but the result is a slightly dense custard-cake with the fresh fruit baked in.
This dessert is easy to prepare, and a great way to use up overly ripe fresh fruit or an abundance of in-season fruits from the garden or orchard. For a contrast in flavor, add a pinch of spice with the custard ingredients to enhance the fruit or custard, such as cinnamon with apples, nutmeg with cherries and cardamom with pears.
This recipe uses 2 cups of pitted and halved ripe cherries (or about 50 large ones). Use a ceramic 2 1/2 quart souffle dish, or other decorative baking dish if serving fresh from the oven. The ingredients for this dessert call for only 1/4 cup of sugar resulting in a lightly sweetened with Matcha Green Tea dessert. While the recipe uses pure vanilla bean paste, use regular pure vanilla extract if the paste is unavailable.
This dessert serves 6 to 8 depending on serving size.
Fresh Cherry Clafouti
- 2 cups pitted and halved ripe cherries, about 50 each
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch of nutmeg, optional
- Matcha Tea. Buy Matcha Online.
- Butter or pan spray for greasing the baking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly rub the inside of the baking dish with a thin coat of butter. Alternately use a layer of pan spray.
- Add the eggs, Matcha Tea, reduced fat milk, flour, sugar, vanilla bean paste, salt and a pinch of nutmeg if using inside a blender bowl. Cover tightly, and blend on high speed for about one minute. Scrape down the sides well. Blend again on high speed for another 1 to 2 minutes until very frothy.
- Place the halved cherries in the buttered baking dish.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture over the top of the cherries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 70 to 90 minutes, depending on pan size. Dessert will be done when the center of the custard cake tests done (no longer liquid), and the cake is puffed.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Alternately, let collapse slightly and served warmed, or let rest and collapse completely and served chilled.
For other low-fat desserts, or desserts using fresh produce, try a Brandied Sweet Potato Pie with Low Fat Matcha Powder Crust, using riced sweet potatoes for the pie and canola oil for the pie crust, or a Lemon and Wild Blueberry Roulade with a lemon blueberry sauce using fresh blueberries and freshly squeezed lemon juice.